Grindon is a peaceful little moorland hill village, standing at over 1000feet above sea level in the Peak District National Park, and over looking the beautiful manifold valley.
As with its neighbour Butterton, Grindon lay on the old packhorse route carrying ore from the copper mine at Ecton,
Grindon has an interesting looking pub called the Cavalier, previously called the Shoulder of Mutton and originally the village smithy. Over 400 years old, the building was possibly renamed in honour of Bonnie Prince Charles who is reputed to have stayed in the village. Today it is a popular destination for walkers in the area. Other pubs in the village have vanished along with the shop, school and post office.
Grindon church, sometimes known as the cathedral of the moorlands, was completed in 1848 but there are reminders of the church which occupied the site earlier, in the form of 2 stone coffins and some medieval glass windows.
During the great blizzard of 1947, an RAF plane crashed whist dropping emergency supplies, killing all 6 crew members. The church contains a memorial to them. A stone pillar by the church gate is `rindle` stone bearing the inscription `The lord of the manor of grindon established his right to this rindle at sheffield assizes on march 17th 1862. A rindle is a brook which flows only in wet weather - a common feature in these parts.
Nearby Osson Hill has number of fenced off, lead mine shafts.