Findern is a tranquil village situated about 8 miles west of Derby, just off the Derby to Burton road. It has a traditional village green which is overlooked by the Parish Church of All Saints, the post office, shops and numerous cottages that lie on its edge. The village green had been restored in 1966-67.
Sir Geoffrey de Fynderne was once Lord of the Manor in Findern. It is believed that he brought back a flower from the crusades, known as `poets daffodil` which still occasionally blooms in the village gardens. Nothing remains of their manor house.
Jedediah Strutt served his apprenticeship in Findern with a wheelwright. He found lodgings with a family of stocking makers and here he met his future wife Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Woolott. He went on to improve the stocking frame and became partner of Sir Richard Arkwright, who was engaged in cotton spinning. Together they established mills at Cromford, Belper and Milford. The patnership was desolved in 1780, Stutt keeping the Belper and Milford mills.
The village industry of velvet weaving, use to be done in the cottages and in 1846 there were as many as 22 velvet and silk looms in the village.
All Saints Church was totally rebuilt in 1863-64 and contains a tympanium from the original Norman church and an octagonal font from 1666. There is a monument to Isabella de Fynderne who died in 1444.
In the main street is the village pump which was used until the 1930`s when the water mains were installed. Now the pump is `dressed` by the WI for the village fete in June.
On a hill, just outside the village is a former windmill called Tower House. It use to supply flour to a wide area but is now the private home of Edwina Currie.
The Toyota car factory is closeby and provides work for local people.