Whittington, now a suburb of Chesterfield, is
reputed to be much older than the Domesday Book's recording of it as
Whitintune, though no previous records have been found. A church and
rectory are said to have existed since 1140 but known records are dated
1302. The original Norman church was small and much altered until
replaced by a larger structure in 1865. This was destroyed by fire in 1895,
the tower and bells only survived and these were incorporated in the new
St Bartholomew's which opened the following year
The Cock and Pynot inn stands at the junction of the old Sheffield and
Rotherham road. It was here that in 1688 that three local noblemen, the Earl of Devonshire, the Earl of Danby and John D'Arcy met to begin planning their part in the events which led to the overthrow of James 11 in favour of his daughter and her husband, William of Orange. For his part in the proceedings the Earl of Devonshire was made
the first Duke of Devonshire. The Cock and Pynot inn,
known as Revolution House, is now a museum. The tiny cottage with it's thatched roof, features period furnishings and a changing exhibition on local themes. A video relates the story of the Revolution and the role the house played in those dark and dangerous times.A new pub called the Cock and Magpie was built nearby.
Richard Dixon commenced making glass in 1710 at Glass House
Common, an industry which was to continue for 140 years, 'making a variety of Jacobean
drinking glasses both plain and coloured also sturdy dark bottles for
storage of wine, sack and ale'. They were the only makers in the area and
traded by road routes and the Stockwith Canal.
This family were responsible for building Whittington Hall, living
there until the business ceased in 1850. After the Dixons, the residence
passed through several hands until in 1902 it was leased to Rev Burden and
for a period of 21 years was use as an Institute for Inebriate Reform.
The railway coming in the mid 1800s was a boon to the up and coming
industries, some of which still trade here. The station opened in 1840. In 1788 the population of the parish was 870 persons, now it is at least
ten times that number. The northern end of the parish became New
Whittington, a parish in its own right, in 1927.
The station area made
way for the sewerage complex. The 50 or so cottages in Bamford Street
and the Square were demolished some 40 years ago to make way for
modern council dwellings, thus ending the era of the market and the
annual fair. For village occasions there is a church hall, Swanwick
Memorial Hall and Mary Swanwick school. The 'New' end has two
churches, a chapel and three schools, one with a class for deaf children.
There are post office and shops enough for everyday use in both, and a
good transport service.