Warslow village in the Peak District National Park
Warslow is a smallish village standing at just over 1000 feet above sea level, on the eastern edge of the staffordshire moorlands, in the Peak District National Park.
Warslow is a former estate village, once owned by the Harpur-Crewe family Of Calke Abbey.
Warslow has some pleasant 18th and 19th century cottages and a welcoming pub called the Greyhound , a 250 year old coaching inn, once known as the Greyhound and Hare. There is also a village hall which provides afternoon refreshments.
St Lawerences Church
The Greyhound Inn
The church of St Lawernce seems to dominate the village and has an unusually wide chancel, and windows by William Morris.
There is some light industry in the area now, but mining was once its foremost industry. At Ecton nearby, mines which produced considerable quantities of copper ore can still be observed from the roadside. The main mine reached a depth of over 1400 feet, the deepest in Britain in the 18th century, and made a considerable fortune for the Duke of Devonshire, its owner. It has an early example of a Boulton and Watt steam engine, an undergroung canal for haulage purposes and several other unusual features including a waterwheel for pumping.