title banner for Derbyshire UK - Derbyshire and Peak District GuideTissington church
Church of St Mary at Tissington


  



Tissington church

Church of St Mary at Tissington in Derbyshire

Parish Church of St Marys
Parish Church of St Mary, Tissington

The church dates back to Norman times, records showing it to be a well established church by 1227 and probably built shortly after 1100. The tower has walls about 4 feet thick at the base and one of the original windows may still be seen on the south side. The butresses were added later, probably when the roof was altered in the 13th century.

The belfry contains 3 bells. There is a fine early Norman doorway protected by a more recent porch. On the side pillars to the doorway a considerable amount of wear can be seen, reputed to be the evidence of much arrow sharpening from the time, 1363 onwards, when englishmen were ordered to keep bows ready for use and practise archery on a regular basis. The same sort of thing can be seen at several Derbyshire churches. There is much Norman work is to be seen inside despite being restored in 1854.

Tissington church contains an interesting Norman font and many monuments to the Fitzherbert family. The Fitzherbert memorial pictured below was erected to the memory of Francis Fitzherbert, who died in 1619 and to his son John, who died in 1642. Francis is in the lower compartment facing his wife, whilst John is in the upper storey facing his wife Elizabeth who was one of the Norbury Fitzherberts.


Parish Church of St Marys
Parish Church of St Mary, Tissington


Parish Church of St Marys
Parish Church of St Mary, Tissington


Contact

The Revd Andrew Brian Larkin
The Vicarage
Parwich
Ashbourne DE6 1QD
Tel (01335) 390226


Return Derbyshire churches menu



© Copyright 2016 Derbyshire UK : Disclaimer