Stretton village lies on the A61 about 6 miles south of Chesterfield, close to Ogston Resevoir.
The nearest church is at Hanley village, a part of the Stretton Parish. The church there, began life in 1875 as a church of England day school. It then adopted a dual role of school on weekdays and church on Sundays, finally becoming exclusively a church when the new school was built. Stretton did have its own church from 1899 to 1971, but it was demolished.
There are or were several pubs in the village, namely the White Bear and the Turbutt Arms, named after the family which as late as 1927 owned Ogston Hall, every house in Higham and a number in Stretton. On the nearby Woolley Moor is another pub called the New Napoleon, named after an older pub, called the Napoleon's Home disappeared under the waters of Ogston Resevoir in 1964. Opposite this pub is the entrance to a landscaped car park, popular with travellers and picnicking families enjoying the splendid views across the whole length of Ogston Resevoir.
The sailing club on the far shore is in Brackenfield parish on a site previously occupied by the Derbyshire Education Committee's Amber Valley Group.
Under the waters of Ogston, also lies part of the track of the Ashover Light Railway, a 2ft gauge line originally planned to carry limestone from Clay Cross Company's quarries at Milltown, near Ashover to the ironworks at Clay Cross, but the quarry closed before the railway opened and it became instead, a busy passenger line. Competion from the motor car finally caused the line to close in 1936. The mainline railway station also closed when the Beeching axe fell in the 1960's and rail commuters now have to travel about 6 miles to Chesterfield or 4 miles to Alfreton for a train.