Ockbrook is an attractive, quiet village, situated 4 miles east of Derby, convienient for commuting to both Derby and Nottingham. The old part of Ockbrook was established by Occa an Anglo Saxon, around the 6th century, and a new part, called the Moravian Settlement was founded in 1750.
It is one of only three in the country.
The Moravians are a Christian sect originating from Germany and had been a great influence in the work of John Wesley. They obeyed a strict religious code. Men and women had to enter the chapel by seperate doors according to the strict segregation rule of the order. The settlement consists of a row of delightful red brick Georgian buildings, in the centre of which is a pedimented chapel, and an adjacent school. The school was built in 1799 and is now a boarding school for girls.
When the Moravians first arrived they were regarded with suspicion and some hostility occured. All is peaceful now and the settlement beautifully compliments the rest of the village. There are also some fine views towards the south of Derbyshire from the settlement.
Ockbrook village was once a textile centre and some cottages still show long lines of framework knitters windows, in their upper storeys. One example is the Cross Keys pub, where stockings were made.
The parish Church of All Saints used to be a chapelry of Elvaston but became a parish church in 1600. Its tower dates from the 13th century with the spire added later. The chancel was rebuilt in 1803 by Thomas Pares, who added the Pares Vault to the north of it.There is a monument to him there. It also contains a traceried screen brought from Wigston Hospital in Leicester by Thomas Pares, and a Norman font.
See Derbyshire Photographs for more photographs from Ockbrook.