Monyash in Derbyshire and the Peak District, is an attractive village situated close to one of Derbyshire's most beautiful dales, Lathkill dale. Monyash owes much of its existence to the presence of a bed of impervious clay, able to hold water in 4 original ponds or `meres` as they are known. Only one mere remains. Monyash village has around 100 stone cottages with three focal points, The mere or pond being one, the others being the church and the village green which is flanked by a pub and a cafe.
Monyash was built up as an important lead mining centre and market village, its market charter having been granted in 1340. The old market cross, which still stands on the village green, had its base supposedly made from old village stocks.It was also once the site of a Barmote Court, the oldest industrial court in the country but this is now held in Wirksworth. It was also once known as a Quaker centre, the farm house, at the head of Lathkill Dale, known as One Ash Grange, being the site of a place of confinement for unruly monks. It was visited on many occasions by John Gratton, a well known Quaker, who lived for a time in Monyash.
Mere at Monyash
Parish church of St Leonards
Little remains of the old lead mining industry that employed so many of the villagers from the surrounding countryside, but at Sheldon, closeby, is Magpie Mine, one of the finest lead mining relics in the country. There is a car park and visiting parties are organised by the Peak District Mining Museun at Matlock Bath. Various displays are on view at the mine including examples of horse operated winding systems.
Lead had been here since 1739, but the mine was so deep, 729ft or 150ft below the water level, that drainage was always a problem, preventing the miners from getting at the deeper ores. A sough was completed in 1881, having taken 8 years to build, at great cost, but the cost and the disputes with the miners from the neighbouring Maypitt Mine, whose vein, joined the vein from Magpie Mine, often resulting in violence, finally caused the mine to close.
St Leonards Church in Monyash was founded in 1198. It has a contemporary chancel arch, unbuttressed tower with lancet windows and battlement, and a spire with 2 tiers of dormer windows which was built at a later date. There are north and south transepts, the former founded as a chantry in 1348, the later rebuilt by Butterfield on the old foundations in 1887 as part of a major restoration work. The screen, pulpit, alter rails and benches, all date back to Butterfield.
It contains a 15th century font, with an octagonal bowl on a quatrefoil stem, decorated with animals.
One of the church`s greatest treasures is the parish chest, 10ft long, with bands of wrought iron every few inches. Rather worn now, it possibly dates back to the 13th century when it was used for the alter plate. There is also a plate, used as a chalice, which dates back to 1726, and was made by Jacob Margas.
Grey marble was quarried at Ricklow Quarry. It is a type of limestone which is polished for ornamental use.
Candle and rope were also once manufactured in the village.
Well dressing demonstations are held in late may and well dressing actually takes place in late may or early june. Monyash antiques and collectors fair is held in late august. The village attracts many ramblers and cyclists. On a bench overlooking the pond is an engraved poem by Samantha Hadfield. It reads
'Hills and valleys are what you see
It's mother nature's gift for free
With bustling waters passing through
This heaven was made for all of you'
Many of the village houses are weekend or holiday cottages with few affordable homes for locals. The village post office and shops all closed down a long time ago, though there is a primary school and village hall.
For more information on Monash church please visit St Leonards church
Oher places of interest nearby
Holiday Accommodation in Monyash
The Coach House - This stone built, former coach house will enchant its visitors with its lovely location just above the village mere, the perfect rural retreat in a memorable village close to Bakewell, the finest of towns in the Peak.
Graded 4-star by Visit Britain, it is centrally heated throughout and offers an elegant master bedroom with king-sized bed, a country-style twin room, a cheerful shower room, a generously equipped dining kitchen and a luxurious lounge with games table. There is off road parking for two cars, a large, private lawn plus patio with summer furniture and barbecue for al fresco dining.
Read more at The Coach House at Monyash near Bakewell
Directions for Monyash
Take the A515 out of Ashbourne heading towards Buxton, then take a left turn, after about 13 miles onto the B5055.The village is a short distance down this road.