Holloway is one of a trio of attractive villages situated just south east of Matlock, the other two being Dethick and Lea.
Florence Nightingale was born in Florence but she spent much of her childhood at Lea Hurst in Holloway village, a 17th century gabled house much enlarged by her father, Edward Nightingale, in 1825. It is also the place she returned to, after serving as a nurse in the Crimean War. It has some splendid views over the Derwent Valley from its gardens. The house is now a private property. The Nightingale family were actively involved in the life of the village and provided a site for the Florence Nightingale memorial Hall in 1932. The foundation stone was laid by the then Prince of Wales and in 1982 Princess Anne laid the foundation stone of an extension.
In the early 20th century, Holloway was a busy place with nearly 30 shops. It now only has a handful. Holloway had a pub called the Yew Tree but it has been close for a couple of years.The church, called Christ Church, is described as one of P.H.Curreys finest in Derbyshire. It was built at the start of the 20th century and has a large crossing tower.
Near Holloway is the village of Dethick where in the 13th century, a manor house was built for Geoffrey Dethick. In the 17th century the manor house was partly demolished and the village now only has a few houses, farms and a Church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, which is still in use. The hall was once the home of Anthony Babington, who conspired against Queen Elizabeth 1st, inorder to release Mary Queen of Scots and place her on the throne of England. The 'babington ' plot was foiled and Babington and others were beheaded for their troubles.
Lea Green was the home of the hydotherapist and industialist John Smedley, whose vision helped establish Matlock as a major tourist attraction. Nearby at Lea Gardens is one of England's finest collections of specie Rhododendrons and Azaleas.