Grindleford in north Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park, is a small village, situated 6 miles north of Bakewell, surrounded by hills and moors, close to the wooded Padley Gorge with the river Derwent running through the centre.
Grindleford stretches for about one and a half miles from the Padleys to Stoke Hall, built in 1755 for Lord Bradford and home to Robert Arkwright, son of Richard Arkwright, who lived here while he was manager of Lumsford Mill at Bakewell. The hall is now a hotel and restaurant.
Upper Padley, contains the restored Padley Chapel, the only remains of Padley Hall, once home to the Fitzherbert family, who were staunch catholics. The family sheltered priest here at time when any priest seen administrating Roman rites was regarded as a traitor to his sovereign and country. In 1588, the then owner, Sir Thomas, was in prison in the Tower of London when a raid took place during which Sir Thomas' brother John and 2 priests, namely Nicholas Garlick and Robert Ludlam, were arrested and taken to Derby Gaol. The priests were found guilty of high treason and condemned to death by hanging, drawing and quartering. Sir John was also found guilty but allowed to live out his life in Fleet prison by paying a large sum of money. Today Roman Catholics make a pligrimage every year to the chapel on the Sunday nearest to 12th July in memory of the 2 priests who became known as the Padley Martyrs.
Grindleford has it's own railway station. The Totley railway tunnel running from Totley in Sheffield to Grindleford is a remarkable engineering feat, being over three and a half miles long beneath Totley moor. Work on it began in 1888 from both ends and despite many problems was completed 5 years later, the two sets of workers meeting in the middle pleased to discover that the centres of theeir tunnels were only 4.5 inches apart laterally and 2.5 inches different in height. It changed the fortunes of the village and still brings many walkers and tourists into Grindleford today, it being the main gateway to the Peak District by rail. One of the old station buildings has been converted in to a very popular cafe.
The village has a much used community hall called the Bishop Pavillion after Eric Bishop a resident of Grindleford and benefactor. The are also a couple of hotels and pubs, including the Sir William Hotel, a 19th century hotel and village pub, and the imposing Maynard Arms . There are also a number of shops, a post office, a garage ( no petrol ) and the Derwent Gallery which has been established here for a number of years. Grindleford also has its own cricket ground, flanked on its eastern side by an 18th century, three arched bridge that carries the main road over the river Derwent. Pedestrians cross via an adjacent footbridge curved to follow the line of the road bridge and an old toll house on the north bank is a reminder that this was an important crossing point in the old coaching days.
A path from opposite the toll house leads to St Helen's church, a small towerless building consisting of a chancel and a low nave.
The Longshaw Estate, just to the north of the village once belonged to the Duke's of Rutland but was bought by the National Trust in the 1970's. It is a magnificent stretch of moorland and woodland, complete with visitors centre which is open daily from June to September, Wednesday to Sunday in April, May and October and at weekends throughout the rest of the year. It can be reached by car or by bus from Grindleford station.
Just south of Grindlebrook is the small village of Froggatt with some 200 inhabitants. Above to the east is Froggatt Edge, popular with both climbers and walkers, having some splendid views over the Derwent valley. The village has an interesting 18th century bridge, a Wesleyan Reform chapel and a short distance away from the residential area, a pub called the Chequeres Inn, converted from a row of 6 cottages as long ago as 1632.
Oher places of interest nearby