Edensor, pronounced Enzor, is a model village lying within the Chatsworth Estate, in Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park. All the homes are tied houses but occupants, most of whom work for the Chatswort Estate, their widows and widowers may keep them for life.
Most of the buildings in Edensor are from individual designs from around 1840, when the 6th Duke of Devonshire, removed the village from along the river to its present position, as it 'spoilt' the view from the House. There is a Swiss cottage, a Norman House, a Tudor cottage among others. Only one of the original houses remains, called Park Cottage, once known as Naboths Vineyard. The biblical refernce relates to the owner's refusal to be relocated. There has been no new building since that date, apart from the stables being converted in flats for pensioners.
St Peters Church dominates the village of Edensor. It was built in 1870 on the site of the old church, with parts of the old church incorporated into it. The archirect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. It has a tall Early English tower and spire, Early English interior with 2 aisles, circular and octagonal piers, including 4 of the 13th century, clerestory and chancel. It is a spacious place of fine arches, beautiful windows and splendid fittings.
In the chapel at the east end of the south aisle is a vast monument to the 2 sons of Bess of Hardwick, William, first earl of Devonshire, and Henry Cavendish. William died in
1626 and appears in a shroud with his face exposed. Henry, who died in 1616, is represented as a
skeleton on a straw mat. Flanked by military and lordly symbols, with central inscription
held by an angel with a trumpet. All capped by a large broken pediment. Here, one can still see the wreathe sent by Queen Victoria, when Lord Frederick Cavendish was interned here following his assassination in Pheonix Park, Dublin in 1882.
Joseph Paxton is buried here in the churchyard. He was the 6th Duke's, head gardener and he had helped to lay out the village, as well as the nearby village of Pilsley. He had also designed the colossal conservatory which had covered nearly an acre of ground and was one of the wonders of Chatsworth, till its demolition in 1920. He was also responsible for the design of Crysal Palace in London. At the top of the sloping churchyard are the Devonshire tombs. Kathleen Kennedy, the sister of President J.F Kennedy is buried here amongst the dukes. She died in a plane crash shortly after her husband, Lord Hartington, had been killed in the Second World War. He was the present Duke's brother. The pesident came to visit his sister's grave in 1963, shortly before his untimely death.
There has been no pub here since 1870 but there is a shop cum post office and tearooms.
Please also visit Derbyshire Photographs for larger photographs of Edensor