Curbar is a hillside village, situated in the Derbyshire Dales, Derbyshire and the Peak District National Park, 5 miles North West of Bakewell. On it's eastern side are the gritstone escarpments known as Curbar and Froggatt Edges, beyond which are moors. The area is very popular with walkers and climbers alike.
Curbar suffered from the Great Plague in the 17th century in much the same way as Eyam, though about 30 years earlier. On the moors there are the gravestones of the Cundy family who lived at Grislowfield farm, Curbar and a man called Sheldon is also buried up there. There are also a number of tombs just below the Wesleyan Reform Chapel, which are dated 1632.
Missionaries used to be trained at Cliffe college, Curbar in the late 19th century. It is now a Methodist training centre and a conference centre.
Curbar village has a church, All Saints, which was built in the 19th century and a school. Both the church and the school serve Calver and Froggatt villages as well, with whom Curbar has close ties. The Wesleyan Reform Chapel was built in 1862 from stone quarried locally.
The top of the escarpment can be reached by going up the old Roman road called Bar Road, where there is a car park. There are superb views to be had of the Derwent valley.
Interesting older features of the village include a circular pinfold or stock compound, where stray animals were kept until claimed by their owners, a covered well and circular trough, and a village lock-up with a conical roof.
Oher places of interest nearby