Bullbridge is a small village lying on a hillside about a mile from Crich in Derbyshire. Much of it lies between the bridge that carries the ancient road from Crich across the River Amber at the foot of the hill and the one that carries the Cromford Canal under the main road. A third bridge carries the main line trains between Derby and Sheffield. This one was built by George Stevenson in 1840.
The Canal Inn
Bullbridge is dominated by Stevenson's Dye Works, the largest firm in the immediate area. Founded by James Stevenson on Wirkswirth Moor in about 1825 it spread to Duffield and Little Eaton and then to Belper in 1893 before finally settling by the River Amber in Bullbridge in 1908. It losts it's family connections in 1960's when the last two Stevensons resigned from the board of the Limited company which is now part of the Coats group.
Bullbridge has lost most of its old buildings and treasures to 'modern development'. A flour mill powered by a water wheel driven by the Amber was lost to make way for a factory carpark. Part of the Cromford Canal was taken away for a new factory warehouse and housing., though the section to the East as far as its former junction with the Erewash Canal at Langley Mill, was after much cleaning, looking much as it did in the 1920's when it was still carrying the occasional working narrow boat. To the west the canal is navigable from Leawood pump house to the terminus at Cromford Wharf.
Bullbridge's population of around 220 is served by 2 pubs, the Canal Inn, which sits beside the Cromford Canal and the Lord Nelson at the bottom of the hill.