Church Broughton in Derbyshire, is a quiet village, situated 10 miles south west of Derby and until the early part of the 20th century, part of the Duke of Devonshires vast Derbyshire estates. The name Broughton means by the brook. The village depended on the 4 large farms and numerous other outlying farms and farming enterprise, for its past prosperity. A new sewer was laid in 1965 and 3 of the central farms have been taken over for suburban style commuter housing, and the outlying farms are about to go in the same way.
The new primary school at Church Broughton was built in 1973 and takes in pupils from Sutton and Boylestone. It doubles as a village hall. The Holly Bush is a busy pub and together with the village shop and tennis club, it forms the main daily focus of activity in the village.
The impressive parish church of St Michael dates back to the early part of the 14th century. It has a large west tower with Victorian pinnacles and big gargoyles and is topped with a small spire. It also contains a long 14th century chancel. It was built by the monks from Tutbury. Another chapel was built in the village in 1828.
St Michael`s Church
The Holly Bush Inn
In the 19th century Church Broughton village was one of the largest in the area, with a population of 661 in 1861. The inhabitants were so unruly that the Duke had one of the first police houses in the county built here, in 1855. It is now called Peel House and can be found in Church Street. Seperate cells were opened for men and women, though usually, the only offences were of drunkeness.
Closeby is the hamlet of Barton Blount, with its fine, mainly 18th century mansion , called Barton Hall. It was once the home of Sir Walter Blount, a famous soldier. The church of St Chad has tombs to the Bakepuze family, who were Lord of the Manor here before the Blounts arrived, and is entered by a fine pedimented doorway.