Barrow on Trent is a quiet, unspoilt Derbyshire village, sited between the River Trent and the Trent and Mersey Canal, about 5 miles south of Derby.
Barrow has a good community spirit, with its school, youth club, village hall, church and chapel.
The Church of St Wilfred, dates from about the 13th century, possibly on the site of an older church mentioned in the Domesday Book. Its Norman arcade still has its original, if much restored, columns. The base of the square tower and the north aisle are 14th century, whilst the upper part of the tower is from the 15th century.
It contains an alabaster effigy of a priest from the 14th century.
Church of St Wilfred
Village pinfold in Barrow
The chapel had to be erected on arches to raise it to the level of the road, now called chapel lane, which was 3 or 4 feet higher up.
One interesting aspect in the village, is the row of Parish cottages, built by parish levy in the 18th century. They were first let out at a rent of £1.50 a year and the parish council still maintains them.
The old manor house and grounds, together with fishing rights in the Trent were given to the Methodist Ministers Retirement Fund by the last owners, Mr and Mrs Houst, and in 1949 Manor Court was built, which comprised of flats for retiring ministers who had no home in which to live.
An old farmhouse called `The WALNUTS` was where the family of, George Turner the artist, lived in the 19th century. Many of his landscapes were painted in this area.