Standing in the heart of the Peak District 12 miles west of sheffield below Bamford Edge close to Ladybower reservoir. During the building of Ladybower dam the dead from the church at Derwent village reinterred at St John the Baptist church and the living rehoused in purpose built hamlet of Yorkshire bridge. The river Derwent flows through the village.
Bamford was a small agricultural village until the corn mill in about 1780, was converted to a water powered cotton spinning mill by the The Moore family, whose legacy also includes the Church, the School, the Church Hall and Mill Houses for the workers. Bamford Mill now accommodation units.
Bamford attracts many walkers, cyclists and anglers attracted by the high surrounding hilld and the upper derwent reservoirs. Paths and cycle tracks circle the waters of Derwent, Howden and Ladybower Reservoirs, which are fringed by forests, steep fields and woodlands.
The Bamford Touchstones Sculpture Trail commemorates the Millennium, and is a walk of approximately 5 miles around the boundary of the village. A pamphlet with maps and a description of the trail can be found in the Village Post Office and all of the public houses.
Bamford has three churches which are St John the Baptist, a Methodist Church; and the Catholic Our Lady of Sorrows.
Church spire at St John the Baptist built by William Butterfield in 1861. Butterfield also deigned Rugby School chapel and Keble college at Oxford. Originally the Parish Church of the village, it became St John the Baptist, Bamford with Derwent when the Derwent dams were built and Derwent and Ashopton villages submerged in the 1940s; then in 1999 Bamford became part of a joint benefice with Hathersage; and now in 2007 the benefice is being further expanded to include Grindleford.
Bamford is known to have been a Methodist preaching place in 1797 and, on a Chesterfield Circuit Plan for 1807 is shown as having a morning service on alternate Sundays see
Bamford Methodist Church
The annual Carnival with its well dressing, fell race to the top of Win Hill, and grand parade on the last Saturday is held around the third week in July. Spring Bank Holiday Monday is the date for the Bamford Sheep Dog trials and Fell Race, now in their 51st year. A bi-annual Community Arts and Crafts Festival is held in venues all around the Village in the autumn.
See also Derbyshire and Peak District photographs